Just in time for Halloween, we have a fun trick or treat entrée for you. When you cut inside these meatballs, you get quite a surprise. Each meatball is filled with cauliflower. It’s a great way to hide veggies for those picky eaters. My kids thought they were perfect for Halloween. They said the cauliflower and meatball looked liked cooked brains inside a skull. That may not sound very appetizing, but they were excited to try the meatballs. They soon came back for seconds, so I know they liked them.
For the meatballs, the seasoning was kept simple. Lamb has a very strong flavor and I don’t want to compete with that. If you want a milder meatball, you can add half ground beef or pork and half ground lamb.The tomato chutney is sweet and savory addition that is full of spices. It compliments the lamb perfectly and make an amazing dish. If you want to change things up a bit, you can make lamb sliders with the lamb mixture and omit the cauliflower. Either way, your family will be coming back for seconds too.
Cauliflower Stuffed Lamb Meatballs with Tomato Chutney
Prep time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 40 minutes
1/4 head of cauliflower, cut into 12 golf ball sized florets
2 pounds ground lamb
2 Tablespoons dried parsley
1/2 cup red onion, minced
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook tomato chutney according to this recipe.
- In the meantime, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the cauliflower and cook over medium high heat for 10 minutes. Drain water from cauliflower and set aside.
- Combine lamb and the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Divide the lamb mixture into 12 equal sized meatballs.
- Flatten each ball out into a patty. Top each patty with a cauliflower floret.
- Using wet hands, mold the lamb mixture around the cauliflower to form a meatball.
- Repeat step 6 until all your meatballs are complete.
- Place meatballs on a greased broiler pan and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and lamb is cooked through.
- To serve, plate 2 meatballs and 1/3 cup of tomato chutney per person.
Here are a few more Cauliflower Recipes for you too
- Spicy Roasted Cauliflower with Tomato Chutney (ourlittlefamilyadventure.wordpress.com)
- Marinated Vegetables (ourlittlefamilyadventure.wordpress.com)
- Cauliflower Rice /Gobi Pulav (cookingwithsapana.wordpress.com)
- Cauliflower Mac & Cheese (mymomlikestocook.com)
- Indian Alu Gobi – Curried Potatoes and Cauliflower with Green Peas (Vegan) (onegreenplanet.org)